Monday, 15 March 2010

Catching up post earthquake and Easter Island

I’m afraid I have been a bit quiet since the earthquake drama...but I have been on the road. Flew out of Easter Island on the day I was meant to arriving into Santiago airport on Thursday 4th at 8.30 in the evening. As you probably know the terminal had been damaged by the earthquake so they could not use it. After a bit of wait in the plane while they took off our luggage, they bussed us to the far side of the terminal where our bags where all lined up on the tarmac. We picked up our luggage and walked to the car park which was empty apart from taxis, buses and hotel reservation tents.
I had decided to stay the night rather than risk being in one of the bus terminals late at night waiting for a bus to Argentina. So I took a taxi to the hostel I had stayed in before. They were rather subdued, there had been a bit of damage but nothing major. I was given the same room as before and noticed that there were large cracks in the corners where the walls should meet. Were they like that when I was last there ... I just don’t know.
I had a shower and went straight to bed... having my grab bag ready by my bed in case of another emergency. I lay there wondering whether I was safe .... and as I dozed off there was a tremor with the glass rattling..... then again about an hour later but eventually I just fell asleep. Woke at 7,dressed, got a taxi and was on an 8.30p bus to Mendoza. I was so relieved .... but felt guilty that all I could think of was to get out. Tourist trade pretty well dried up in central Chile I imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment